Posted in big appetite tiny kitchen, clean eating., fall goodness., recipe., vegan, tagged braggs liquid aminos, clean eating, dinner, empty the fridge, healthy meal, kale, mushrooms, red cabbage, sriracha, vegan, what vegans eat on December 10, 2013|
2 Comments »
Tonight was one of those nights that I realized many things:
- that our pantry, cupboards and fridge are pretty empty
- I need to get back into the habit of running again in the early mornings, and
- the dishes must be washed every single night.
I quickly washed two sinks worth of dishes after work and decided that I needed a healthy meal to ease my unexercised mind. Because of the craziness from this past weekend at the shop, we still had all of our veggies from last week’s delivery still on hand. I wasn’t in the mood for rice (again) and didn’t think quinoa would taste good paired with the veggies I thought about sautéing. I dug around and found some leftover lasagna noodles; and immediately put on a pot of water.
Random Veggie Roundup serves two hungry people
- three or four stalks of fresh curly kale (FG) [broccoli, brussels sprouts and zucchini would all work too]
- about three cups of sliced mushrooms (FG)
- about two cups of sliced red cabbage (FG)
- two cloves of garlic (FG)
- about a cup of corn, fresh or frozen (FG)
- veggie stock (my mom made this delicious batch!)
- Braggs liquid aminos
- tiny splash of apple cider vinegar
- optional: udon noodles, rice noodles, or any pasta on hand
Super easy: Cook choice of noodles as directed. I had four leftover lasagna noodles that I crumbled into bite-sized pieces.
Saute kale in a little EVOO until it is bright green, add a splash of stock if dry. Add mushrooms and cabbage and cook for just a few minutes until the cabbage becomes softer, but still snappy. Stir in corn and cook until warm.
Push the veggies to one side of the pan and cook the diced garlic in a little EVOO. It would also be delicious to add some fresh ginger (we didn’t have any on hand). Once it smells delicious, stir in with the veggies. Now add a generous splash of stock, about 2-3 tablespoons of Braggs, the tiniest splash of ACV and about two teaspoons of sriracha (less if you aren’t a fan of spice). Stir and let that start to simmer. Add in the noodles, stir and serve. Top with scallions if you have any- we didn’t, sadly.
Meals like this make me happy: they are simple and full of flavor. They also inspire me to make a shopping list!
Read Full Post »
Posted in clean eating., fall goodness., vegan, tagged albany, brussels sprouts, buy local, clean eating, csa, field goods, kale, polish community center, spaghetti squash, vegan, vegfest, veggie share, what vegans eat on November 15, 2013|
2 Comments »
In this week’s bag:
- brussels sprouts: these will be roasted and then baked into a macaroni and cheese with soy chorizo.
- spaghetti squash: gobbled up this afternoon with leftovers! I got up at 6 am to bake the squash and then packed them into our lunchboxes with lentil meatballs and homemade sauce.
- yellow onions: will be used in the “cheese” sauce for the mac & cheese mentioned above and also the carrot soup below.
- salad mix: all that talk about pasta requires at least one salad for dinner, tonight.
- kale: while the squash was baking, I made a big pot of short grain brown rice. I picked up some shredded unsweetened coconut on lunch… you know what that means… all time favorite kale dish!
- cameo apples: Sliced and dipped in peanut butter, simple but the best morning snack at work.
- yellow carrots: all time favorite soup time!
I literally LOVE everything in this bag! And could repeat it for another three weeks before the frozen goods kick in.
And while we’re on the topic of veggies, this weekend the beau and I will be vending at the Albany VegFest 2013. Stop by and check it out! There will be demos, speakers and samples galore! Make sure to say hi if you do pass through! Stay happy and healthy my friends!
Read Full Post »
Posted in clean eating., favorite things., how does your garden grow?, recipe., summer love., vegan, tagged chia seeds, coconut milk, kale, pina colada, pineapple, smoothie, veggies, vitamix on July 5, 2013|
2 Comments »
The beau and I have been trying new recipes almost daily in our Vitamix for both breakfast and dinner. Because I’ve already shared with you our favorite “cheese” recipe, I figured I’d share with you my favorite breakfast smoothie. It’s cool. It’s sweet. It reminds me of being on vacation because it tastes like a pina colada. And you get three servings of fruits and veggies.
- 1 banana
- 1 cup of frozen pineapple (I love the bag of pineapple bits from Trader Joe’s)
- 1-2 cups of chopped raw kale
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds, added before or after blending
Blend and enjoy! I personally like to add the chia seeds after blending because if you let it sit for 10-15 minutes, it gets gelatin-like and I enjoy that texture. If you add them before, they’ll all be blended up and you won’t be able to even tell they’re in there; they don’t have a flavor. Can’t feel guilty about this breakfast option!
p.s… yes, those are two different days worth of smoothies and yes, that is my favorite spot to photograph my meals lately (the steps leading out to our porch garden). Stay cool and healthy my friends!
p.p.s… those flowers are edible!
Read Full Post »
Posted in daily letters, oh so happy., Troy goodness., tagged bachelor pad, diary, dog, helper, kale, long walks, strawberries, treats, vito on July 1, 2013|
Leave a Comment »
“hi friends, vito here!
while my mom and dad took a trip to visit with old friends, i got to visit with my old bachelor friend in his new pad. he seemed much more relaxed this time and i only caught him
hiding from me cooling off in the closet once.
within the first hour of being downtown, i got to work at the new troy cloth and paper store answering emails… just kidding friends, my paws aren’t good for typing!
it was hot out so i strolled on down to the sprinklers by the river but there were far too many kids splashing around, so i went back to the bachelor pad to take a cool shower. just kidding, my babysitter did and i greeted her right when she stepped out so that i could lick off all the cool water. refreshing!
after taking a little nap-a-roo, it was pizza and beer time! just kidding mom if you’re reading this, i know it doesn’t taste good. but i do love helping in the kitchen! and eating raw kale from the garden on the back porch! i don’t know why i got cut off; it wasn’t like i was eating and riding.
after watching the birds for a while, i went out on the town for about an hour to mark my territory, bark at all uncle sam statues and watch the fireflies in washington park. such a long walk! as soon as i got back to the bachelor pad, i hit the sheets. actually, i did a little dance and scrunched them up so that they were just right. then i fell asleep. no late night shenanigans for me.
for breakfy i had a strawberry smoothie! just kidding, i ate my beef and supplements but i did catch the couple of strawberries that hit the floor. fruits and veggies are my favorite treats!
after breakfy and a brief walk, i went for a long run. just kidding, but when my babysitter came back from her run, i made sure to lick off all the sweat i could. i am such a good helper. before snuggling in for an afternoon nap, she and i watched the birds a little longer. i sure do like the new bachelor pad and its amenities.”
Read Full Post »