The number one food I’m constantly craving (besides french fries): coconut. I don’t know how to describe it; I seriously can not say no to an Almond Joy. Here are some of my all-time favorite coconut treats:
1. Coconut Liberte Yogurt. I am not a fan of yogurt. It contains a lot of sugar, food dye and just seems like a waste of calories. Except this brand of course. I pick it up for myself every once in a while when I’m looking for a sweet treat. This brand is a little expensive ($1.45 for 6oz) but it is so worth it. So rich, so creamy and so yummy with chunks of real coconut throughout.
2. Kale and Coconut dinner = to die for! Sounds like an odd combination, I know. But thanks to Joy the Baker I’m hooked! This dish is so simple to make and is ready in a flash! It combines my love of kale and I substitute short grain brown rice when I don’t have farro. You wanna know how I know this recipe and I were meant to be? Take a look at the date she posted that recipe– yup the birth date of yours truly. It’s a sign.
3. Wellington’s Herbs and Spices Coconut Tea. This past weekend a girlfriend of mine saved me a tasting of this tea and it is unlike any tea/blend that I have ever had… in a very good way! Because it was my first sample and I wasn’t at the Troy Farmer’s Market when she picked it up, I don’t have all of the answers as to what’s in it. I did call the business owners and left a message because the blends aren’t found on their website. If you’re in the area on a Saturday morning, go pick up a bottle!
4. Coconut Oil. I picked up a container of this cooking oil from Honest Weight Food Co-Op almost a year ago when it was on sale and have been hooked ever since. My favorite thing to make with it is a stir fry- heating up all the veggies and sometimes chicken in this oil gives it a whole other level of deliciousness. You can use it on toast with jam, even in dressings. A little goes the long way so I don’t mind paying a little extra for this healthy and yummy oil.
5. Coconut Body Butter: I love The Body Shop for many many reasons, this being one of them. The only body butters/lotions that I put on each time after I bathe are from this store and in the summer, there is no better scent (okay, well maybe their grapefruit!). The smell isn’t too strong but lingers all day. My favorite? Going to sleep after lathering up and then the next time I crawl into the sheets, it still smelling like coconut. I think the smell reminds me of vacation in Naples; good memories indeed to fall asleep to.
I found a few new recipes that I can’t wait to try- for dinner and in the shower. I will most definitely share them if they are hits in my book.